Friday, November 16, 2018

English Should Be America's Official Language...My Official Reply


When I came across this blog “English Should Be America’s Official Language” written by author Han Han, I was intimidated by his writing skills, as I am a simple but straight-forward writer and decided to pass on this blog. As I continued to read the other blogs my mind would go back to Han Han’s blog eventually leading me to return to his blog to read. As I said before, I was impressed with the writing skills. then went on to read the article “What Are The Origins Of The English Language?” and saw that he had used exact sentences from the article to his blog without citing. Continuing, I realized that this article seemed like it did not go with the title of his blog and that the main point in the article “is” about the origin of English with a small paragraph saying that English should be America’s official language and subsequently, gave a bit more info.

Han also threw my understanding of his blog as the title should have including the word “business” so that it is not confused with the title in general. His blog was pointed more on the economic interest and once again confused me when he wrote a quote by right-wing Kenneth Blackwell stating “ If you care about a child in America today, then you want that child to be able to speak English”, then it would probably become a personal opinion which would introduce an argument and change the face of his paper and the connection would take a while to fuse, reminds me of the straw man theory. I did not go into the reasons why English should or should not be an official language as his main intent was as in a business aspect and did not seem that an pro and con was introduced so I treated the blog as a research paper, there was no personal view noted. Overall, Han did a great job in his writing (technical)  and his knowledge on the subject was stellar but as I mentioned, I felt it was more of a research paper. 


I was very reluctant in participating in this assignment and hope you take this as constructive criticism (from a novice) and that my words were not meant to hurt you or to anger you.” Perception is a vital component in understanding and communicating, we see what the other does not”(Carolynn Vargas) 

No comments:

Post a Comment